2/18/2010

Hypochondria

I'm not sure if I qualify under the official rules, but if I'm not a hypochondriac, then let's say I'm "suggestible" on health-related matters. This is why I never took the second semester of psych. It's why I stay away from medical newsletters, and why I only watch medical shows with exceedinly rare diseases (e.g. House). The problem with this suggestibility is manifesting right now. I'm in a lab alone. I smell a strange odor, reminiscent of fresh cut grass. I feel a little, very slightly lightheaded. Am I about to pass out from some mystery gas concocted on the upper levels of the building? Or, am I psyching myself into symptoms that I don't actually have. Heck, for all I know, there isn't even an odd smell. Maybe I smelled some hand lotion I put on earlier, or the acrid perfume of a hall-walking secretary (sorry, Administrative Assistane). It's all very much like the scene in that King Arthur movie, where Arthur is talking to Merlin about a cake that Guinevere has just given him. He suspects it may be spelled, and asks Merlin if he should eat it. Merlin tells him that the cake is like life - you can't be sure until you eat it. And then of course, it's too late. By sitting here, am following the same course Arthur did by eating the cake - a course that caused Merlin to mutter "Too late..."? Time will tell, I guess.

1 comment:

BA said...

Don't worry.....it's just Phosgene. Oh and btw is it just me or is that mole on you're neck getting bigger?

..................................

..................................