This is one of the more interesting sets of flickr photos I've come across. It claims the somewhat grandiose title: Following the way of the toaster. Basically, the scenario seems to be:
- cut out aluminum foil stencil of design
- affix stencil to bread
- place bread under broiler
- repeat as necessary
- trim toast into pleasing shape, if desired
- photograph and upload to flickr
- dispose of toast (I'd recommend eating the toast in most instances. In instances where charring makes the toast a choking hazard, feed it to your cat. If you don't have a cat, good for you - have a beer).
I'm adding this to my to do list... right after freezer paper stencils and cheese racing. Am I serious? I don't know. I think so. Toast Art photo tutorial here.