8/09/2006

Mead Redux

OK, the mead stopped fermenting again, and settled out beautifully clear (photo pending). While racking it over again* ( to assure that fermentation wasn’t about to restart, and to keep it off of the yeast), a room temperature taste test revealed that it was a touch too dry for my taste. So, I’m chilling it down, to see if it is more tasty when chilled. Should that fail, my options, as I understand them are:

  1. Live with the dryness
  2. Boil up some more honey/water and add it to the fermenter (If my research was right, I should be near the alcohol limit for this yeast. Any honey added would be left virtually untouched by the yeast. But that will take trial and error… and that takes tools, that takes time.
  3. Add campden tablets to kill the yeast, and then bring up the sweetness to the level I want. But campden tablets are essentially sulfites, and a lot of people can’t handle sulfites.

Ahhhh, what’s a poor boy to do? Any advice from the brewing gods?

*Per advice from BA, I attempted in my small way to minimize oxygen exposure.

No comments:

..................................

..................................