3/25/2006

WRST-FM Oshkosh


I got a mailing from my old college radiostation yesterday! It's the 40th anniversar of the Radio Station of the Titans, WRST at UWO. I've been invited to attend the awards ceremony. I'm touched they still have my name! I worked the station over two holiday breaks back in the late 80's. My first shift was distinguished by the fact that I ended every introduction to a record with the word "God willing". I wasn't really a pro at the board, and the only one who was there to help me was another new trainee - a young woman who I was quite attracted to, in fact. Could have been a humiliating experience, but for some reason, it was a lot of fun! Oh, the other thing that might be remembered about my first shift was that I kept forgetting to turn off my mike. I could be heard chatting nervously over the beginning of most sets of songs I played. Potting down my mike was generally preceded by the catch phrase "Oh Shit!" Not a distinguished career. I doubt I'd even recognize the names of anyone receiving awards, so I won't bother to attend. Still, getting the mailing has triggered this I'm-part-of-the-history-of-this-planet vibe. I've done a bunch of kinda interesting things in my life. Just getting fascinating glimpses behind the scenes in a variety of areas: worked very briefly off-screen on a hollywood movie, briefly DJed a radio program, hopped a train to work, acted in some high school plays... not ground breaking, but worth talking about. It's time to get off my butt and explore some more!

No comments:

..................................

..................................