3/19/2006

How old are you?

Thanks to Krudser's daughter for this link:

How old are you?

As I get ready to post this, my stats are as follows:

You were born on a Wednesday.*
You are 37 years old...
or 450 months old
or 1,957 weeks old
or 13,703 days old
or 328,872 hours old
or 19,732,353 minutes old
or 1,183,941,225 seconds old
and your next birthday celebration is in:

175 days 23 hrs 26 mins 16 secs.

That'd have been nice to know a few years back, when I spent ages trying to calculate how many seconds old I was (leap years were a bitch!)


* In case you're wondering about the old rhyme, here it is:
Monday's child is fair of face;
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe;**
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving;
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
is fair and wise, good and gay

** huh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this calculator add in those pesky leap seconds astronomers occasionally add? How about
relativity effects? Are the calculated seconds subjective or based on the observation of an outside observer? I seem to be asking a lot of questions, what’s up with that?

TheFishmonger said...

I'd guess leap seconds aren't included. But since the damn doctor that delivered me rounded off to the nearest 10 minutes, I don't think the roughly half a minute lost will affect the accuracy in any meaningful way.

Re: relativistic effects: As the official clocks are all roughly stationary with respect to the earth's surface, I'd guess that relativistic effects were ignored. Again, though, since I've only travelled in commercial jets around a dozen times since my birth (and never in any faster conveyance), I'd say the correction would be small in comparison to the inaccuracy of my birth time. Heck, I'll bet the guy hadn't even called the Milwaukee time line (much less, the naval observatory) before my birth!

..................................

..................................