3/17/2006

Active Culture Kraut?

I keep hearing these live food freaks talking about sauerkraut as the perfect food because of the beneficial micro-organisms in it. But I never saw an active culture mark on marketted kraut, so it seemed I'd have to make my own. Just to be sure, I sent an email off the the good folks at Frank's Kraut. Their reply:

Hi Mike,

Our canned and jarred kraut is cooked and therefore cannot be described as an active culture food. Our bagged kraut goes straight from the vat to thebag. However we do add a preservative. That is the closest to active culturethat we have. We are working on an active culture kraut now.

Regards,

Chris Smith

Frank's
Kraut


So, unless you make your own, it's not really a live food. Good to know they're working on an active culture kraut. I'll bet the flavor will be out of this world!

No comments:

..................................

..................................