5/29/2007

Eternal Ascent


Another wacky thing to do with your mortal remains. Have yourself cremated. Then, this company will transfer a portion of your cremains* into a weather balloon and launch you into the stratosphere. At some point, the balloon will burst, showering the earth with your ashes. I have to say - ick. When someone has their ashes scattered onto a lake, or over a field, that's one thing. They've symbolically joined with some place that is special to them. But to have them blowing all over the damn place from miles up, and raining down on unsuspecting individuals... that strikes me as a bit too far. But then that's just my humble opinion. YMMV.
(BTW, the photo above is the launch of a pet's ashes. I just couldn't post one of the people pics, though the website does have them.)


* is it just me, or do the words cremains and craisins just have too much in common for comfort? I think I may lay off of the sweetened, dehydrated cranberries for a while.

No comments:

..................................

..................................