8/07/2009

John Hughes (February 18, 1950 – August 6, 2009)

John Hughes made a ton of films. Some were good, some were bad, and some achieved timeless greatness. In my opinion, the short cut to finding the best of his work is to look for those he was most involved with. To wit: John hughes Wrote, Directed and Produced:


Sixteen Candles
Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Ferris Beuller's Day Off
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
She’s Having a Baby
UncleBuck
Curly Sue


OK, OK.. I never actually saw Curly Sue. I hardly remember seeing She’s Having A Baby. And I only remember a few bits from Uncle Buck. But to think that one man wrote, directed and produced Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Planes Trains and Automobiles?!? Pardon my french, but that’s fucking incredible! Five of my favorite movies written directed and produced by one man. Nobody else even comes close!

Well, actually, Harold Ramis got close, writing all or part of Animal House, Meatballs, Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters, and Groundhog Day and directing National Lampoon’s Vacation (though John Hughes wrote it) ,Caddyshack and Groundhog Day and also producing Groundhog Day. But - Ok, so that’s better than close. I’ll call that a draw. But somehow I’m more emotionally connected with Hughes’ movies. The guy knew how to tug a heartstring. Film Literature? No. Probably not. But the man really knew what he was doing. And even though I haven’t seen any genius level work from him since, say 1987, I’m sad to know that there’s no chance of another genius John Hughes film being created.

(NOTE to whoever owns the rights to JH’s films. NO! Don’t do it. We don’t need to see sequels to any of his films. There’s no need for 46 Candles, Lunch Club, Ferris Bueller’s Weekend in the Hamptons, or Wheelchairs, Walkers and Canes. The movies are great, but that’s it. No more, OK?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Totally agree, great movies in their time. Have to say we hired Ferris Bueller a few months ago, thinking our 16 year old would enjoy it, apparently it doesn't translate well...laughs...but I enjoyed it still! RIP John Hughes, totally agree. Oh by the way you sent me a zine from swap-bot and I've written about it on my blog, hope you don't mind me stalking...oops I mean following you here! Cheers, Kyles

..................................

..................................