10/24/2008

Search Flickr by Color

Here's a nifty little photo search engine. Just pick the colors you'd like in your photo, and get a selection of them presented for your approval. I found it strangely thrilling to be presented with a screen-ful of chromatically similar pics of various and differing scenes. I think it ties into my collector personality. I think that part of the reason I enjoy collecitng or seeing collections of things is that its a way of approaching the essence of something. We may not be able to buy a platonic* chair, but if we get enough chairs, we can at least experience the feeling of the platonic* chair. And with this, I get a similar experience, but with color. Sure, I could just look at the color on my computer screen. Somehow, though, seeing objects in those color schemes just makes it more real. OK, fine. I'm a weirdo. It's still a neat website.


* By platonic, I mean the ideal essence of something - the object that cast the shadow in plato's cave.
PS: I cheated on the pics above. They're not from the search engine, just a mosaic from edgeplot on flickr.

No comments:

..................................

..................................