1/29/2008

Paper Strip Music box


Whereas most music boxes these days play from commercially prepared disks or cylinders with raised nubs on them, this Mechanical Music Box Kit captures the musical data as holes in a paper strip. The bonus? You can punch the strips yourself. The kit is only $16 plus S&H at the Curiosity Shoppe Online (unfortunate spelling, gentlemen). This is an excellent idea! This is the perfect gift from a poor college student to his beloved. Punch up a version of your song for it and you've got a great Valentine's day gift!
If you'd like to see one in action, check out the beginning of this youtube video by Yael Naim, which is where I first saw it. That woman has a fascinating voice. I guess she's french? Based on her name, maybe she's morroccan? I'm not sure. Israeli (thanks, Wiki!). I found Yael Naim by googling the lyrics for "New Song", after hearing it played on a commercial for the new MacBook Air commercial. Have you seen how slim that thing is?! And have I mentioned how much I love the internet?

No comments:

..................................

..................................