12/18/2007

Mr. Thundermug: A Novel


What is the deal with this book? It gets amazing reviews from everyone, and I can't figure out what these people are seeing to admire in the book. I saw nothing in it.
Mr. Thundermug is a baboon who has developed the ability to speak human language at about the time he mysteriously appears in the narrator's town. The story walks us through a sequence of scenes, but doesn't really tell a story. There's no flow. There's no detail. No back story. Nothing is gone into in depth. No one seems the least bit surprised by a talking baboon. What am I meant to gain from this story? I'm sure I don't know. And I am also sure that I don't know how this little piece of junk got published.
Perhaps Cornelius Medved is the publisher's untalented brother-in-law? It's the only explanation I can come up with. Dorothy Parker might as well have been speaking about this book when she said ""This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

No comments:

..................................

..................................