9/14/2007

Turkey Options

Thanksgiving is still far away, but today, I've been thinking about the Thanksgiving turkey. A bit odd for a vegetarian? Sure, but what the hell do I care? I started thinking about this because of a book I'm currently listening to on tape. It's call The Timetraveller's Wife. Good book so far, though the reviews say it kind of falls apart in the end. Time will tell.


Anyway, the book mentions a labor intensive turkey process I'd never heard of before. We've all heard of brining turkeys, deep-frying them, and even building a turducken from them. But have you heard of a Thompson's Turkey? It's certainly not a new recipe, since the inventor died back in 1953. In fact, it has a sort of timeless, alchemical quality about it. Basically, it's a turkey stuffed with a fruited sausage stuffing, then encased in a seasoned paste of egg and flour and roasted. It's then basted every 15 minutes with a cider-based sauce for the following 5 hours. Apparently the crust of paste turns black and frightening looking, but beneath, the skin is crispy and the flesh is moist and flavorful. If any of the Fishmonger's family wish to attempt this crazed feat, let me know. I'll help out along the way. In lieu of eating the bird, I only ask to be allowed to photograph the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go on and have a bite. All the cool kids are doing it. (I recommend the Alton Brown "Turkey Triangle" method.)

Anonymous said...

Middle Bro here...
I may be interested in pursuing this challenge. I have to speak with Mrs. Middle Bro about the potential time conflicts. Assuming approval for MMB, lets talk further about strategy. For the record, the best turkey I have ever made is the brine type. Juicey, juicey, juicey......

..................................

..................................