3/26/2007

Fish Fry Wedding

UPDATE!: The fishfrysale people have just listed a vintage gnipgnop! The one I picked up has been a big hit with TheGirl. There's just something about a game driven by rubberbands... Get your bids in, people! I've got mine in on a copy of Second Hand Lions on DVD. It's a nice family movie: fun plot, great cast, highly recommended as a rental. Or even go ahead and buy it, just don't bid against me (I'm warning you... grrrrr).

..................................

Just stumbled across this bit of local color on ebay today. I have a standing ebay search for "Billy the Brownie" items. To judge by the tales I heard in my Milwaukee area childhood, Billy was Santa's local snitch, the one who fed the old man the data used to calculate the Naughty-Nice ratio. These espionage activities were apparently underwritten by Schuster's, a Milwaukee area department store (correct me if you've got better info than I do, folks). I've been watching for something that actually mentions the name "billy the brownie" for a couple of years now. As of today, still no luck. The listing for a Vintage Billy the Brownie Elf Christmas Ornament that my search turned up was yet another anonymous Christmas Elf. But the listing had an interesting twist:


Fish Fry Sale
My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married in a simple ceremony at a Friday Night Fish Fry. Simple ceremonies are inexpensive, but not free. So, to help pay for the cost of a wedding, we're selling everything we don't need from our lives before we were together. Thank you for looking and for helping us start our lives together.
Fish Fry Sale Total: $43.56
A Fish Fry Wedding... You know without looking that the listing is coming out of Milwaukee, aina? I've checked the couple's items for sale, and there's nothing I'm interested in yet. I'll keep looking, though. Maybe I can find something I want. I think it'd be kinda neat to be a part of something that so purposefully blends the old and the new.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm....fish fry....

..................................

..................................