12/30/2006

Strange Bridge in Racine

Yesterday was a day off of work, so I decided to spend the morning on a photo safari in Racine. My most interesting capture? The bridge where 6th Street crosses the Root River. I had stumbled across it once day after picking my daughter up from school. Road construction caused me to detour, and I stopped in awe when confronted with this thing.

From the road surface, it's barely interesting - a couple of abstract mosaics, and some sort of bronze plumbing fixtures. But from below... well, take a look at the photoset yourself. The bridge has some of the strangest adornments I've ever seen. Some seem inspired by the state seal, others by Nazi paraphenalia, the most repeated adornment almost seems designed to evoke (or invoke!) Cthulhu, or some ancient river god. The bridge is constructed strangely, too. The underside is a solid arch, with the space between the arch and the roadway filled with arches.

I've been unable to find any explanation for the origins of the bridge in my internet searches. But I've sent a question in to the Journal-Times. Perhaps they will reveal all to us. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

..................................

..................................