9/10/2006

Coolest Arcade Ever


While on the Lake Geneva outing, a co-worker and I had the opportunity to pop into an arcade for a few minutes. It was amazing!! This place was like an arcade game museum. Everything from Street Fighter to Joust and Rampage to Joust to dance machine games, love testers and (my favorite) mechanical baseball games. You can see some of the pics I shot of the mechanical games here. My favorite was Batting Practise, shown in the picture with this post. A rubber ball rolls down a ramp to your bat, which is swung by squeezing a control. The objective is to hit the ball and have it bounce into (but not out of) one of the tiers in the back. It's simple, real and ridiculous. I loved it! Loved it so much, in fact, that I tried tracking down a machine for purchase. Sadly, while some of the other games I found are going for a couple of hundred bucks, one place is asking 3 GRAND for a reconditioned 1941 version of this one! My. I do have good taste in games, don't I? Of course, the one at the arcade wasn't reconditioned, and seems to be of a later model than the $3000 edition (maybe 1968?). Perhaps I'll find one some day. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

..................................

..................................