8/27/2006

Techno-Chemical Spiced Honey Wine


Yep, that's the name that is on the labels of my newly bottled mead, or metheglyn, or metheglin, or whatever. After many weeks of fermenting and two rackings, it's in the bottle. I decided to call it a 'spiced honey wine', since that's what the recipe called it, and because metheglyn sounded a bit too... impressed. Techno-Chemical is after the title of the book where I found the recipe that was my starting point. It's still a bit harsh, actually, but probably drinkable. I hope it will have mellowed enough by Christmas that I can risk distributing a few bottles for the holidays. Fingers crossed. Oh, and here's a shot of the label. I think the image really captures the idea of techno-chemical honey rather well. Oh, and yeah, I've added sulfites and potassium sorbate. I just got spooked after reading one too many stories of mead fermentations which had apparently finished suddenly starting up again in the bottle. Can't have any of that. Although mead bombs sound like nice things, I'd guess they're not. So... be nice to me, and maybe I'll shoot you a bottle, come Festivus.

PS: Oh, and that image was stolen from Max XX at flickr.com and was used under creative commons licenses: attribution, non-commercial, and share alike.

No comments:

..................................

..................................