5/30/2006

Lightning Injures 2 at Wis. Chocolate Fest

Heard this news story on the radio this morning! I'll bet that everyone will run for each time a thunderstorm hits a festival this summer. Usually, I don't worry much, figuring that lightning will hit a tree, or at worst, a center tent pole. I'm never near either of these (think 'edge of beer tent'), so I never worried. Amazing that lightning can hit the ground and still injure 5 people! I'll have to rethink my theory.

Those storms that swept through were crazy, though. You could see it approach, see the rain falling in the distance. Then I hear the rain hitting the trees across the field, and could actually see the falling rain advance across the field behind my house. When it hit, all hell broke loose - high winds, sheets of driving rain, hail, and occassional nearby blasts of lighting. The wind was strong enough that the rain was trailing off of the peak of the neighbor's garage like it was snow coming over a mountain . Very neat to see. Man, do I love storms!

No comments:

..................................

..................................