2/28/2006

For my next trick...


I might make some metheglin next. That's spiced mead, AFAIK. I've an old "Techo-Chemical Receipt book" from 1923 that has an interesting recipe.
Honey Wine. To 2 pound of honey add 1 gallon of water. Boil the mixture for 1 hour, continuallly skimming it; then add some yeast and let the liquid ferment, handing into the barrel a bad containing bruised spices, such as coriander seeds, cloves, ginger and calamus, of each 1 ounce. The fermented liquor will be clear after 1 month, when it can be drawn into bottles.

I've looked up calamus, and it seems to be also called sweet flag these days. It's the root of an iris. Supposedly a rather strong flavor. Looks like I should be able to get it from the loca lhealth food store. Maybe I'll leave that out, though. I've already got some strongly flavored honey from a variety of sources: buckwheat, wildflower, mesquite and pecan, as well as the standard clover. I think this'll produce a strange and delicious concoction.

But first, I've got to drink down some of this beer!

No comments:

..................................

..................................