12/31/2005

Absinthe

Tried my absinthe today. I received it from friends who secured an aliquot of it at a party thrown by the purple one. A quick sip of the stuff straight quickly informed me of the reason for the sugar and water ritual. The stuff is toxic! Painfully sharp and anissed (sp?), and though the website only claims 68 proof, it went down like 90 proof. absintheEnough of that. I determined to attempt a concoction of a traditional ratios. Lacking the proper spoon, the proper glass, and any sort of lump sugar, I was forced to improvise. I transferred a generous portion of the stuff to a cut glass snifter. I glared at me evilly, daring me to combat. HAving tasted it's bite, I foreswore an attack. Instead, I added a spoonful of sugar and drizzled cold water into the mixture. And bloom of greenish opalescence appeared in the glass. When I'd added about twice the volume of water as I'd previously added of the elixir, I began to stir the concoction. The sugar quickly dissolved. Between it and the water, a serviceable substitute of music was formed, taming the savage beast and rendering a quite quaffable concoction. I confess, I have become a bit light-headed as I utilized the contents of my snifter. But I will, for now, attribute this to the empty stomach with which I began my experiments, and not to any particular pharmacological effects of my experience.

I begin to reconsider my stance on this, as my teeth feel soft, and I am unable to make a fist. Could it be that Barefoot in the Park was written about absinth and only changed to Ouzo to appease the censors? Vistor Velasco certainly seems the absinthe type!

No comments:

..................................

..................................